Microsoft has created a new FTP service that has been completely rewritten for Windows Server 2008. This new FTP service incorporates many new features that enable web authors to publish content better than before, and offers web administrators more security and deployment options. For additional information, please see our documentation.
This new FTP service is only for Windows Server 2008 and Internet Information Services 7.0; it will not work on Windows Server 2003 and Internet Information Services 6.0.
Note: Please see the following URL for the 32-bit version:
This new FTP service supports a wide range of features and improvements, and the following list contains several of the improvements in this version:
- Integration with IIS 7.0:
IIS 7.0 has a brand-new administration interface and configuration store, and the new FTP service is tightly integrated with this new design. The old IIS 6 metabase is gone, and a new configuration store that is based on the .NET XML-based *.config format has taken its place. In addition, IIS 7.0 has a new administration tool, and the new FTP server plugs seamlessly into that paradigm.
- Support for new Internet standards:
One of the most significant features in the new FTP service is support for FTP over SSL. The new FTP service also supports other Internet improvements such as UTF8 and IPv6.
- Shared hosting improvements:
By fully integrating into IIS 7.0, the new FTP service makes it possible to host FTP and Web content from the same site by simply adding an FTP binding to an existing Web site. In addition, the FTP service now has virtual host name support, making it possible to host multiple FTP sites on the same IP address. The new FTP service also has improved user isolation, now making it possible to isolate users through per-user virtual directories.
- Improved logging support:
FTP logging has been enhanced to include all FTP-related traffic, unique tracking for FTP sessions, FTP sub-statuses, additional detail fields in FTP logs, and much more.
- New supportability features:
IIS 7.0 has a new option to display detailed error messages for local users, and the FTP service supports this by providing detailed error responses when logging on locally to an FTP server. The FTP service also logs detailed information using Event Tracing for Windows (ETW), which provides additional detailed information for troubleshooting.
- Extensible feature set:
FTP supports extensibility that allows you to extend the built-in functionality that ships with the FTP service. More specifically, there is support for creating your own authentication and authorization providers. You can also create providers for custom FTP logging and for determining the home directory information for your FTP users.
This new FTP service is a substantial step forward for helping you to enable powerful publishing capabilities for your Web environment.
The following prerequisites must be fulfilled in order to install the new FTP service:
- You must be using Windows Server 2008.
- Internet Information Services 7.0 must be installed, and the administration tool should be installed if you are going to manage the FTP service using the IIS 7.0 user interface.
- You must install the FTP service as an administrator. If User Access Control (UAC) is enabled, you must use the “Run as Administrator” option when installing.
- IIS 7.0 supports a new shared configuration environment, which must be disabled on each server in a web farm before installing the new FTP service for each node. Note: Shared configuration can be re-enabled after the FTP server had been installed.
- The FTP service that is shipped on the Windows Server 2008 DVD must be uninstalled before installing the new FTP service.
이번 FTP에서는 위에 설명 나온데로 IIS7과의 통합(IIS6때는 안그랬나?마찬가지인데)과 개선된 특징기능과 보안성 기타 등등...
제일 마음에 들었던건 FTP경로를 각각 격리로 만들어주고 웹사이트도 그 경로에 넣어줘야 한다는 단계를 건너뛰고 웹사이트를 만들면 바로 FTP로 적용할수 있는 편의점을 주고 있다.
패시브 설정도 편하게 되어 있고 추가된 특징과 기능중 FTP/SSL 이 있다. vhost 기능이 있어 사이트 격리및 보안성에 비중을 두기도 했다.
대부분 IIS에 FTP기능을 쓰지않고 써드파티(서버유 같은)를 사용했었는데 이번 FTP7은 IIS7의 통합된 기능으로 좀더더 편하게 관리 운영할수 있게 되었다는 것이다.